PInegrove Book Club - Ali Smith 'Spring'

ali smith says at the beginning of the podcast @esh posted that “hope produces itself out of the lack of hope. hope is like the blade of the knife, and you are balanced on it rather than cut by it.” just like how winter makes spring possible, hopelessness makes hope possible.

i am struggling to fully accept this bc i know from experience that hopelessness can be extremely debilitating and arresting. i think what feels lacking, or simplified, in smith’s assertion is the acknowledgment that it takes incredible strength to pull the hope out of the abyss… and to see how she ends brit’s story, and the novel itself, i don’t know i (or smith) feel(s) the hope- so spring left me feeling pretty hopeless

i am excited to hear her talk about it more in the podcast and hopefully understand her ideas more clearly

5 Likes

far more than i expected, this book explored the tension of the threshold between winter & spring. there seems to be much made in the novel of the relationship between death/ life, cold/ warmth, despondency/ hope. so if she’s saying you need one to know the other, or that theyre two dependent sides of a coin… do we believe her? certainly in seasons, that’s the way it goes. & in physics, it’s that special stuff at the bottom of the bungie cord to snapp you back up & remind that every action has an equal & opposite reaction. but doesnt it seem sometimes like the bottom keeps opening up into deeper depths? yes there’s some ancillary benefit of knowing sorrow & that connects you to all others who have known sorrow. but it’s no more than a silver lining. what really inspires hope, i think, is seeing people succeed. when people win on a razor’s edge, that’s when you’re reminded that it can always end up a number of ways. including, sometimes, for good.

5 Likes

i think that we like seeing people succeed despite being pushed down to the bottom. there’s no inspiration in someone who has never dealt with sorrow, or loss, or failure, achieving success. hope doesn’t come from spring alone, but also the survival of winter

5 Likes

(P.S: blimey, this is lengthy)

“Five years from now, when he eventually tracks down the girl, Florence, now as a young woman, the first thing he’ll do is take it out of his jacket pocket and show her.” 277
(it seems the tense is open to interpretation as to whether it does happen or is wishful inner thought?)

I was thinking in response to @holocene’s comment on the contrast between what the experience of meeting Florence and the events that unfold do to change Richard and Brit - and support systems. What circumstances do the characters meet Florence in?
Richard is about to take his life, a last act of hopelessness (@noahmarcus what you reported from her podcast rings equal with her thought here)
Brit’s portrait is one of someone who is apathetic and follows chance one morning instead of routine. They both work in different kinds of machines (media/film; security/detention) but the first is the one that is humanised in the end: art, story.

What would it take to humanise the machine in the way we might like in Brit’s story ? Is it fair to ask that of her story? I see Brit’s character as relating with existentialist questions of choice and authenticity (the analogy by Camus is it? of the prison guard or SS officer and notions of duty/work)

The last words of the book, " …the new life already at work in it, time’s factory" 336
echo back to Paddy evoking Charles Dickens “But time’s factory’s a secret place” 249
which is followed by “Sometimes we’re lucky. With a bit of help and a bit of luck, we get to be more than the one thing or the nothing that history’d have us be. We’re only here by the grace and the work of others. I am anyway.” Paddy is a ghost from the start, made alive by Ali through Richard.

there’s so much to be said for the threads of the images coming back to have a moral, or some new resonance in this book…The lemon and Richard page 16 versus the lemon he evokes at the end… several allusions to Beatrix Potter (teeth and chocolate with paddy + story and rabbit tail with real daughter)

for the relationship between Tacita Dean as the chosen artist here
Tacita’s work is a lot to do with the image acting as an indexical trace (she has made a point of using analogue film and not digital technologies in her career) - a very ghostly quality: a trace of an icon, the remains of others, of chemicals, of light in passing.
With what Ali Smith is set to accomplish with her seasonal quartet/chronicle, imbuing the spirit and headlines of the time, this sense of an imprint continues.

5 Likes

i’ve been wrestling with this myself. is brit’s lack of change a choice she made, or was she always doomed to go back to this life?

i think in richard’s circumstance it was almost a case of resurrection, of being pushed so far to the edge that he needed to move forward, to create an entirely new philosophy, in order to live. it was as though he had no other choice but to change.
brit, on the other hand, as you said, is apathetic to the machine, to the ways of life. she’s not moving backwards, but she’s not moving forward’s either. shes numbed herself, cushioned herself from being pushed to the edge as richard was, because it’s what she has to do in order to survive working at the IRC.
we change most radically when we are in a state like richard’s. of utter hopelessness, feeling like there’s nothing left. however with brit, though her experience with florence made her more empathetic to the world around her, she didn’t look back at her former self closely enough to realize just how hopeless she really was, and in order to change we have to first consciously realize that there is something that needs to be changed. lasting change can’t just happen inadvertently

5 Likes

sorry i had to step out of the chatroom for a bit!
everyone thank you SO much for reading this book with me, for your insight, for challenging my understanding of the book & what books like this are trying to do. i really appreciated the conversation. i’m so looking forward to the next one! so everybody, grab a copy of the sell out by paul beatty as we consider how to slice it up & arrange a date!
thanks again & much love
<&

7 Likes