First Song

What was the first song you heard by PG that you fell in love with? I found PG probably just a little after Cardinal was released and immediately fell in love with Old Friends and Aphasia. I think the lines about solipsistic moods and calling your parents more often in OF and “said a lot of things tonight” in Aphasia really hit home.

So anyways, what was your introduction to Pinegrove what what lines specifically did you fall in love with??

3 Likes

I listened to “Angelina” so many times, in a row, that I forgot it was such a short song. I lost track of beginning and end. I showed it to a friend a week later and was legitimately confused when it ended.

9 Likes

It took me a long time to get into their groove before I could totally enjoy Angelina but now it’s one of my all time fav songs haha

Really could use one more verse though

2 Likes

I think I could be down for another verse, but maybe it’s just right as is? Maybe another verse would be too much. You think you want another buttered roll, but, after the first bite, regret descends.

4 Likes

Aphasia came up on my discover weekly a few months after cardinal had been released and I got OBSESSED. I wouldn’t listen to anything else for like a week

5 Likes

Saw them open for Kevin Devine in philly and I just couldn’t get the whole performance out of my mind. Started with cardinal as a whole on repeat for like a month straight. Size of the moon was impactful.

2 Likes

i had New Friends on my Discover Weekly sometime around March 2016, based on when i added it to my library. i was out of town for their show in ATL that July (i was so bummed, i was REALLY starting to get into them then) but i saw them later that fall on that legendary petal/pg/julien/kevin tour

3 Likes

The first song I ever heard was Angelina from Everything so Far. I immediately fell in love with their music and began listening to the entire album of ESF. My favorite line of course was, “iiiiii loooovveeeee youuuuu like it’s the old days”. I found a lot of live versions where he would sing ‘the old days!’ higher and I preferred Angelina like that. Not soon after, Angelina from Skylight came out and I lost my mind. It was like my prayers have been answered, haha. ⧉

3 Likes

My brother texted me and told me to listen to size of the moon. I liked it, but didn’t press further. Then I was driving with my friend and his older brother had a burnt cd in the car. Track one on the mixtape was old friends and suddenly I was plunged into the world of pinegrove.

I was doing an internship in 2017 and living away from home for the first time and a lot was going on.
I was getting ready to graduate college, one of my childhood friends passed away and I was gathering the courage to tell my girlfriend I didn’t love her anymore. I missed my family, but was also having a good time living alone and processing these things.

I was on a bus going down home when I came across an article saying “Pinegrove” is up-and-coming. I listened to Old Friends and Aphasia and was HOOKED. It felt like he was saying exactly what I was feeling.
“I should call my parent when I think of them, tell my friends when I love them”
“I saw leah on the bus a few months ago, saw some old friends at her funeral”
and
“One day I wont need your love, wont day I wont define myself by the one I’m thinking of”

REALLY HIT

4 Likes

I heard Intrepid when it was first released because I’m a big fan of rfc and try to check out their releases. I’d never heard Pinegrove until then and I actually never got into them then, I only ever heard Intrepid until last summer when YouTube randomly recommended me the video of Evan playing an acoustic version of Aphasia in a bedroom. I don’t know what compelled to click that video because I didn’t know the song and barely knew the artist but I did and I instantly loved it. I remember that entire summer as a whirlwind of learning Pinegrove song and consuming every bit of Pinegrove content I could.

“New Friends” live on Little Elephant -> immediately obsessed

2 Likes

i am forever in debt to youtube autoplay who put the audiotree version of angelina on after i watched the music video to motion sickness. I immediately fell in love with it. It was catchy and fun. I would listen to this song for a month or two before i decided to explore more of pinegrove. and the rest is history. ive loved the band and all their songs ever since &>

2 Likes

I had moved to Australia & was doing a season at a ski resort in June of 2017 when I saw their Audiotree live session. Love at first listen, as soon as the video finished I bought ESF and Cardinal on iTunes. I listened to the albums pretty much every day on repeat while snowboarding through the mountains. So many good memories whenever I listen to any song off those albums. :slight_smile: I’ve learned quite a few of their songs on guitar and have had the pleasure of introducing friends to their music through covers or just playing their music while traveling.

I’m back in Canada now & I’ve been listening pretty much daily ever since! My gf and I traveled to NYC and saw them live for the first time at Webster Hall a few weeks ago & I was blown away. Absolutely love their music and Evans song writing capabilities are inspiring.

Super thankful for their music <&

4 Likes

gosh darn old friends & it still hits different & brings a tear to my eye <&

2 Likes

I always check Audiotree’s latest videos. Saw the Pinegrove one, clicked it & the second i heard that Need 2 lead guitar, I was hooked.

6 Likes

i had a friend tell me to listen to old friends and size of the moon in 2016 and fell in love. so i started listening to them more for the next 3 year but never found another song i liked UNTIL last year a friend of mine got really into them so i went back and re listened to everything and loved absolutely every song. it’s interesting how the same songs can sound so different 3 years apart

1 Like

back in 2017 a mutual on twitter was tweeting about pinegrove and naturally i went to check them out. I was immediately drawn to size of the moon (ESF version) and the rest of them soon followed. Ive been wanting to see them live for the longest time and was planning on seeing them in 2018 but then they went on hiatus. But finally they are coming to scotland again and im seeing them in march!!

Dude the groove on Cadmium got me hooked on PG. It was just off and strange enough without being alienating and is also just a great song in general

5 Likes

the first pinegrove song i ever heard was the cardinal version of size of the moon, it was on a playlist that my girlfriend made for me and the first time i heard it i fell in love, and worked my way into their music starting with the audiotree videos. every time i hear size of the moon i get chills, i dont know what it is but that song means more than anything to me

2 Likes