First Song

Cadmium audiotree. Oh my. Still my favorite, but now I celebrate the entire catalog. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was in a class and we were working on a project - our professor asked if anyone had any good soldering music (we were learning how to solder some cables) and a buddy of mine put on the full Audiotree video and immediately Need 2 caught my attention. As soon as Evan says ā€œIā€™m outā€ I turned my head and began paying closer attention to the video than to the soldering!

That was two years ago and they are still a favorite!

3 Likes

The first song I listened to was Old Friend. The lines " I should call me parents when I think of them, should tell my friends when I love them" really hit since Iā€™m away from my parents at college and just because itā€™s a simple gesture we can forget about. One day we wonā€™t be able to say I love you to them so we should always make sure to do it.

2 Likes

Omg your bud is a hero

1 Like

Newbie Pinenut here! The first PG song I heard that made me fall in love was Dotted Line. My favorite local band (from the Philippines) recommended Marigold and the subdued but ~crunchy guitar intro and Evanā€™s voice really got to me and I couldnā€™t get the song out of my head for days. Led me down this wonderful path of discovering everything so far (pun intended). <3

3 Likes

One of my best friends and I were driving back from a little flower field we found Spring 2017, right after we graduated high school. She played Angelina for me for the first time and I fell in love.

2 Likes

The first one I ever heard was Intrepid. I couldnā€™t get enough of it and then found their discography and listened to everything. Saw them in concert and Had a countdown for the release of marigold.

1 Like

The original version of On Jet Lag on Mixtape One in 2010ā€¦ I was hooked immediately. Also always felt a little lonely because no one I know every really fell in love with them. Pinegrove is like some kind of magical introvert portal that only some people can see. Really miss seeing them live.

3 Likes

Cadmium showed up in my Spotify recommendations a couple years back and I got HOOKED.

Iā€™m kicking myself a bit - I had tickets to see their most recent show (February) in Austin, but cancelled / sold them because I would have been flying back to New Orleans on Lundi Gras (day before Mardi Gras), which gave me FOMO. Plus the plane tickets were more expensive than I planned for :sob:

Making do with Evanā€™s livestreams for now :two_hearts:

Also loved what you said @haptics about the magic introvert portal that only some people can see. PGā€™s music is so meaningful to me, but when I have tried showing their music to people I love, only one person has really gotten it! I do not understand :thinking:

3 Likes

A few years ago, some friends played a song that they were excited about called Old Friends. I was completely blown away by the way the lyrics just seemed to stick with people. It was so good and I couldnā€™t believe that people I knew could write something like that. I was right to not believe it because it was a cover of a Pinegrove song. Nevertheless, I got a new source of even more lyrics to stick with me. An actual old friend and I continue to quote these lyrics back and forth on the daily and call each other all the time with new readings or new information that weā€™ve learned about songs. When Marigold came out, we listened to it on repeat for the entirety of a four hour road trip just analyzing lyrics with our ears open for things we could have missed on previous listens. Iā€™m so thankful for that misunderstanding in 2017 because it brought me my most played artist on Spotify of every year since.

3 Likes

was trying to think of how i discovered PG and i think i heard old friends on siriusxmu in april of '17ā€¦ somewhere around in there.

2 Likes

I actually have a neat origin story with this band.

In the summer of 2014 I was driving from Oregon to Pennsylvania for a job after college, and I stayed with a mutual friend in New Orleans for a couple of weeks. I bonded over music with one of her housemates, and he gave me a CD of Pinegrove songs before ā€œEverything So Farā€ was even recorded and produced. At the time I only had a CD player in my car, so I have fond memories of listening to V , Overthrown, and Size of the Moon over and over driving across the swamps in Georgia just falling in love with this emotional power of this groupā€™s sound.

They continue to be one of my favorite bands, and theyā€™re only getting better. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

I heard old Friends from my younger brother after smoking some herb. Currently have ā€œProblemsā€ stuck in my head so I learned it on my guitar. Amazing song but itā€™s so hard to sing like Evan though :]

Listening to Pinegrove is a unique experience ā€œafter smoking some herbā€ haha. I didnā€™t really fully notice the many layers that are in their songs until I had listened to their songs high and wow itā€™s pretty incredible. Everything So Far and Skylight especially have some of the most interesting layers in any music Iā€™ve listened to before. The very subtle guitar, banjo, and synth layers make these songs so interesting and fun to listen to.

Cadmium! I heard it listening the the band Whitney, and Spotify automatically started playing Whitney radio and thatā€™s when I heard it. I mustā€™ve listened to that song 20 times in a row after I heard it :sweat_smile:

Hiiii! I just found this whole thing- I love PG. The first song I heard by Pg was morningtime on the Amperland album. It was in my recommended section on Spotify and I think my favorite lyric from that song is ā€œIā€™ve been tryna capture both ends of the splinterā€. Then later I listened to the whole album and have been listening to it like- all the time since. Honestly the lyrics to any PG song are a huge inspiration for me to continue to write my own music. Iā€™m super glad I found Pinegrove
:)) :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Itā€™s gotta be Cadmium, still my favorite to this day. :heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart:

I just discovered the band. Immediately fell in love with ā€œRespirate.ā€

I hope to see them at Stubbā€™s in April. Nice early birthday gift (22nd).

Sunday, Morningtime, Need 2, Days were when I really understood this band was something very special. The depth of the creativity, musical exploration, and subtle but very serious undertow effect of being dragged into enlightenment captured me. Reminded me of another band I really like, Hikes (Arkansas indie band with a mysterious sound). When did I fall in love? Driving through highway 88 in the CA Sierra Mountains and Morningtime starts playing through my stereo. Sun rising simmering the road creating a mist over the fresh snowfall from the night before. The smell of wood burning from local workers. Passing through a little town called Pinegrove, CA. I could seriously die in the moment and feel at peace.

I saw Pinegrove live this past Saturday in SF. Man I never felt so much power in a band since seeing the likes of August Burns Red in their prime. I cried. Going to go again in Orlando.

The Alarmist.

I first heard it jamming with my friends. One of them played it on their guitar and sang it beautifully and later I texted them to ask what that song was. I listened to it on repeat for a week, then moved on to Moment, then all of Marigold.